In Oz, everything is magical. With just a wave of a wand wonderful things happen, wicked things disappear and dreams can come true. Over the rainbow life can be simply...beautiful.

Unfortunately, the road life has chosen for me was not that of the yellow brick road. The Emerald City is no where in sight. It is more often then not that I wish I had that magic wand from Oz.

Life hasn't been completely unfair to me. I have been blessed with a loving family and a beautiful son. For these things I am eternally grateful. It is my dermatomyositis and my son's fight with autism that can draining.

Hence, this blog was created. Here I will document my life…my ups and downs, my good days & bad days, my accomplishments and my failures...my life, outside of Oz.

Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Ignorance

It's amazing how some people can be so ignorant sometimes. I was in the waiting room at my Dr's office yesterday waiting to be called. There was a women there talking and talking and talking. Seemed like she doesn't have anyone to talk to at home. I sat there listening to the different conversations she was striking up while I was playing with my phone.

After a while she got on the topic of vaccines and somehow I knew where the conversation was gonna lead. Sure enough it changed to autism, then to the amount of cases out there, then she said it... " These Dr's are just giving the diagnoses away to a bunch of spoiled brats who aren't disciplined." It took every ounce of me to ignore her.

Many may ask why I didn't say anything. She was plain old ignorant. You could tell by the way she was talking that she was one of those people set in her ways and my words were not going to change her view. Obviously she has never had to deal with someone with autism nor does she have a clue as to what it really entails. No one agreed with her and in fact, were kind of ignoring her rambling. Althought her words got me upset, they soon disappeared in the air and into nothingness to where they belonged.

No comments: